A ‘cheat’ night without the guilt: Foodies go wild for Rachael Finch’s VERY simple healthy nachos recipe
- Rachael Finch has shared the recipe for her ‘favourite’ vegan nachos
- The mum-of-two makes her own salsa, guacamole, cheese sauce and bean base
- She uses tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cashew nuts and Dijon mustard
- The model’s Instagram followers said they will try it for their next Mexican night
Home cooks are racing to make Rachael Finch’s vegan nachos after the model shared her simple recipe on Instagram.
The mother-of-two, 32, makes her own salsa, guacamole and cheese sauce from scratch with simple ingredients like tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cashew nuts and Dijon mustard.
It’s the latest plant-based creation from the 2009 Miss Universe Australia, whose holistic lifestyle led her to build a small business empire which includes edible beauty brand Kissed Earth and fitness plan, Body by Finch.
A photo of the nachos has drawn dozens of delighted responses since it was posted online, with many vowing to make it for their next family Mexican night.
Scroll down for video
Former Miss Universe Australia Rachael Finch (left) delighted home cooks by sharing the recipe for her vegan nachos (right) which can be made with simple supermarket ingredients
Rachael – who lives in a $1.65million penthouse in central Sydney with husband Mike Miziner and their children Violet, six, and Dominic, three – said she starts by sautéing one onion in olive oil.
She adds one and a half cups of pre-cooked black beans and a teaspoon of cumin to taste, stirring until the mixture is heated through.
Next Rachael turns her attention to the guacamole, which she makes by mixing two avocados with a handful of coriander and the juice of one lime together in a bowl.
For the homemade salsa, she chops two tomatoes and one red onion, then mixes them with olive oil and a generous twist of salt and pepper – it’s that easy.
Even her ‘cheese’ sauce is surprisingly simple.
The 32-year-old model (pictured in Sydney on September 24) follows a holistic lifestyle which has led her to build a business empire that includes diet and fitness plan, Body by Finch
Rachael whips this up by blitzing a cup cashew nuts which have soaked in water for about an hour with a teaspoon of turmeric, one small chilli, two tablespoons of mustard, the juice of half a lemon and half a cup of water in a blender.
Then she loads everything over three cups of plain tortilla chips drizzled with olive oil and serves the snack to her young family.
Followers were delighted with the dish which is packed with healthy ingredients without any of the processed sauces and calorific toppings typically associated with nachos.
‘They look yummy, will give them a whirl on Friday,’ one woman replied.
Another called the nachos her ‘favourite snack’ while Danish health coach Caroline Groth, who lives in Sydney, said they ‘look delicious’.
Rachael (pictured on Australia’s Lord Howe Island in December 2019) is known for her healthy lifestyle
The recipe comes months after super-fit Rachael shared her typical ‘day on a plate’ with Daily Mail Australia.
The model said she starts her day with a smoothie made from almond milk, avocado, frozen banana, spinach, nut butter and a scoop of her supplement brand Kissed Earth’s ‘Replenish Protein’ in vanilla or chocolate.
‘I also can’t go without my collagen coffee. It’s a black coffee with a scoop of collagen powder, medicinal mushrooms and maca powder blended,’ she said.
For lunch Rachael enjoys a ‘macro bowl’ of eggs, grilled broccoli, kale, brown rice, tomato slices and some avocado on the side.
Dinner is grilled fish and steamed vegetables with roasted baby chat potatoes, a nice balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats which she aims to incorporate in every meal.
Rachael Finch’s nachos recipe
For the bean base
1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
1 brown onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
For the salsa
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
For the guacamole
2 avocados, mashed with a fork
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
For the cheese sauce
1 cup cashews, soaked in water for an hour
1 tsp turmeric
1 small red chilli
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup water
3 cups tortilla chips
Salt and pepper
1. Make bean base by heating olive oil in a large pan and sautéing onion.
2. Add cumin and beans to pan and stir through to mix well until beans are fully heated through. Set aside.
3. Make guacamole by adding avocado, coriander and lime to a bowl. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
4. Make salsa by adding tomato and red onion to a bowl. Add olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Make cheese sauce by adding cashews (drain the soaking water), turmeric, chilli, mustard, lemon and water to a blender. Process on low until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To assemble nachos, divide nachos into 2 bowls. Add bean base, salsa, guacamole and finally cheese sauce on top.
Source: Rachael Finch via Instagram